Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Pet peeve!

People who do not use capital letters when writing on the internet (be it email, message boards, whatever) really irritate me. When did that become acceptable practice? "It's the internet so it's not real correspondence." Whatever. Did these people just learn to type, and skipped capitalization? Is it to save time? Is the shift key just that big a stumbling block? Hey, to end a sentence with a period and then put in two spaces takes THREE WHOLE KEYSTROKES. Why not just skip the period and end your sentences with the "tab" key? Like so!

"so then we went to the gap in the mall
the shirt selection was really bad there
what happened to that store?"

See? You can totally tell when the sentences end. Also a possibility: removing all vowels from words that are more than two letters!

"so thn we wnt to th gp in th mll th shrt slctn ws rlly bd thr wht hppnd to tht stre?"

Man, I have SO MUCH TIME NOW. I can finally take up knitting!

But seriously, this is one thing if you're a sixteen year-old in a Battlestar Galactica chatroom. It's quite another for 20-something college graduates who are ostensibly working adults.

(This post brought to you by the spirit of Jeff's Dad.)

UPDATE: Okay, so apparently Blogger won't let my big spaces appear and the tab button doesn't work either, thus totally ruining my joke. Why are you the enemy of comedy, Blogger? So I just hit "enter" instead. Anyway, you get the idea.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jeff, that is total bullshit. why are you so offended by a lack of caps in writing? does it really make a difference. at my old job, we used non-caps writing for internal correspondence, but used caps for emails sent to the client. it's just a little less formal and it makes you more accessible. also, a study was done which showed that people who read emails that weren't capitalized were calmer and more likely to engage themselves more fully in whatever was being addressed.

yeah, i totally made that last part up. not true at all. anyway...just deal with it. take a deep breath. you can do it; i know you can, jeff.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

It's not very rational, considering the rampant grammar abuse all around me all the time in every medium, but still, I can't help it. It's going to seem less crochety when people actually start doing the vowel thing.

Also irritating: people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". C'mon, people!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

i'M a BiG fAN Of theSe, pERsoNaLlY.



Wait. No, I'm not.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "there", "their" and "they're"? That's one that drives me batty.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

I'm finding myself hating the "goods" instead of "wells" a lot. I used to hate when people corrected me on that in high school, and now I do it to people all the time.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Jenni, consider that idea officially stolen.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can my superhero name be "The Verbivore"?

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home