Monday, February 14, 2005

Random memory triggered by the onset of Valentine's Day

Back when I was dating Bre, which was, oh let's see, nearly six years(!) ago now, we decided to go out on a proper date. Like go out, just the two of us, and have dinner or do something equally date-like. Back in college there was no "dating" to really worry about. I would just start kissing one of my female friends. Most social gatherings would then occur as normal, what with big groups of people going out to a movie, or to drink, or whatever, except now there would be kissing with your sweetie afterwards.

So Bre and I decided to buck this trend and actually go out on our own, like adults did. We hopped into Bre's car and struck out for parts unknown, with almost no plan and no idea how to proceed. Neither Bre nor I were particularly cosmopolitan at the time (I, for one, almost hardly stepped off campus for a good portion of my freshman year), and now faced with the prospect of going out into the world and deciding on an activity that we would both enjoy participating in, we found ourselves completely at a loss. Panic-stricken, we wound up eating at McDonald's and then going to Target to buy Legos. (To indicate how long ago this really was, I believe I ended up buying some Episode I Legos, flush with excitement as I was in anticipation of the movie. Now the memory make me feel slightly ill.) So our big foray into actual Datehood wound up being a rather infantile affair.

This whole tale has sort of been my version of a personals ad. Ladies, line up! I will buy you a McChicken sandwich and then we will build an X-Wing out of plastic blocks. Could other men say the same? I thought not.

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Dream date!

3:41 PM  
Blogger -Laurel- said...

Yeah. I've only had a small handful of what I'd call dates, and only one of them was a second date. And that was with you like a year ago. So I guess my point is that I don't relaly date either and therefore will be spending valentine's day at a strip joint.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I spent it at home watching Super Troopers with a constantly watering, bloodshot eye! What the fuck?

9:58 PM  
Blogger -Laurel- said...

Dude, i hope you don't have pink eye.

Or cat allergies. I sometimes get itchy eyes around other people's cats if I pet them then rub my eye.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home