Thursday, January 19, 2006

Comics!

Run away!

But man, it was a great week!

All-Star Superman #2 - This issue has already been met with both apathy (scroll down) and hyperbole out in the comics blogosphere. It's a largely action-free issue, as Superman shows Lois his Fortress of Solitude and worries about breaking the news to her that she's dying.

I mean, of course I loved it. How can you not?

I'm intrigued with the concept of the ageless Superman and how the "normal" people around him react to that. Last issue, Luthor cited growing older as the impetus for his latest scheme, and in this one Lois grows concerned about she and Superman's relationship and how it will play out over the years as she grows older and he stays the same. It's a METAPHOR FOR US ALL.

Anyway, if you want to read some fine critical praise for this title, look no farther than Jog's Blog. His analysis of Seven Soldiers is also top-notch.

Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle #3 - Two Grant Morrison books in one week = Happy Jeff! Then again, this book is UPSETTING. Seriously. The last few pages are brutal. This is a big step-up from the first two issues, which were pleasant enough, but took too long to put forth a pretty simple idea (the New Gods are now a bunch of homeless people), and lacked the interconnections that I so dearly crave at this point in the project. Then again, the second issues of Bulleteer and Frankenstein are neck-deep in interconnections with the other series, so who am I to complain? We finally do get a bit of interconnection, but it's really just Shilo stumbling through scenes from Klarion and Guardian.

So it looks like Mister Miracle's ultimate escape will be from the Omega Effect, or at least this series' "urban reimagining" or it. Definitely need to be up on your Kirby to fully appreciate this one, I think.

Planetary #24 - Oh sweet God yes. The last issue was out in what, June? And we get another issue NEXT MONTH. I love this series. This issue is almost all exposition, as Elija finally lets Jakita and Drums in on the conclusions he's come to. This issue is very similar to #13, as it's basically just Elijah talking through his detective work, but just like that issue, it's pretty fascinating. Plus, there's an orbital death ray, and those are always cool.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I did like A.S.S. 2, but I sure wouldn't have minded a little more plot and a little less Lois in panties. (That whole Frank Miller/All-Star B&R script thing has me all twitterpated.) However, Superman's gift for her is a DELIGHT.

(He's not performing secret eugenics experiments, Lois! He just wants to be sure you're SURPRISED!

Superman is such a good boyfriend.)

12:49 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I'm sure a lot of plot could have been squeezed into those two panels.

Really what I'm saying is that I can't imagine two books that treat their female protagonists more differently.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I agree, totally. I'm just a little hypersensitive right now. Lois is a delight. I admire a girl with a kryptonite laser.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home