Thursday, January 26, 2006

Comix!

Okay, it sounds like Ed Brubaker and Mike Carey will be taking over the two main X-titles come summer. Could be interesting. Could also be a disaster. We'll see. Apparently Sabretooth is a member of Carey's team, and he sounded all psyched about it in the interview, like that wasn't a major plotline in the 90's. (Okay, so Sabretooth wasn't an X-Man, but he did live at the mansion until the X-Men came to the conclusion that he could never be rehabilitated (They came to this conclusion when he escaped and eviscerated Psylocke. I know it's a parenthetical inside a parenthetical. Shut up.)) Anyway, here's some stuff I picked up recently.

Nextwave #1 - Warren Ellis does comedy/acton in the Marvel Universe. As ridiculous as I'd hoped. It's the sort of book with narrative captions like "Tabitha Smith has the mutant ability to blow things up and steal all your stuff." It's Ellis' normal writing taken to the comedic extreme and it works very well, thank you. It's hard to dislike a comic that can't help but make fun of Fin Fang Foom's little underpants.

Peng - Why didn't I talk about this before? I've had it for ages. Anyway, this is a one-shot by Corey Lewis, he of Sharknife fame, and it has the same emphasis on insane action at the expense of most everything else. The story relates the final matches of the World Kickball Tournament (when you kick a kickball, it goes "peng!" get it?), where players tend to use insane, kung fu, videogame time moves as they play their chosen sport. This is much funnier than Sharknife, and the art is clearer and more polished. Pure, substanceless joy.

Infinite Crisis #4 - I skipped issue three but I had glanced at it, so I already knew Alexander Luthor was the heavy (ooh, spoiler alert!). Anyway, a whole lot of shit goes down, including Earth Prime Superboy killing a bunch of ex-Titans so obscure I didn't recognize a single one of them, all while screaming "You're ruining everything! You're ruining ME!" in that "Who needs subtext?" way that Infinite Crisis has. And what the hell happened to Wally? At this point my interest in the story is purely academic, since I'm just not deep enough into DC to be really invested.

Next week is the new issue of Seven Soldiers: Bulleteer, which promises more connections to the Newsboy Army, which is always good news.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you mean Just Plain X-Men and Uncanny? Did Astonishing fail to end up being a "main title," despite it's being a more or less direct follow-up to New X-Men? (And Cyclops leads the team, and he's, you know, like THE most powerful X-Man?) Is it because it doesn't publish regularly enough?

9:08 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Meltdown was already sold out? I guess I got Leslie's and my copies on Wednesday. But it looked like they had plenty.

Despite its sales, I still can't see Astonishing as any more than a gradiose limited series. Maybe they'll continue it after Whedon and Cassady leave, and maybe not, but I can't imagine I'll still be reading it by that point.

But Astonishing starts up again next month, and will come out every other month for another 12 issues. So it's still around.

Yeah, Infinite Crisis is definitely not for folks like me. I'll stick with Seven Soldiers for now. (Hey Asa, did you get the first Seven Soldiers trade yet? You should!)

8:55 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Dude. One more time. Astonishing will come out every OTHER month for the next 12 issues.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home