Saturday, September 18, 2004

The wheels on the bus

I was riding the bus today from Glendale to Pasadena, and there was this crazy woman on board. I mean, she didn't seem crazy at first, but then this guy got on board, sat up near the driver, and began speaking to him in Spanish. Just making some Spanish conversation. Bad call, Spanish-speaking guy! The woman starts yelling at the guy (keep in mind that she is closer to the back of the bus) to "shut up" and "stop gossiping." At first it seemed like she just wanted quiet so she could sleep or something, but no, then she starts talking about how "those people" claim they can't speak English well, but they sure do know how to say "I'm hungry," or "I need money." She kept going on and on about how these people are stealing from, as she put it, "me and mine" and taking food from the mouths of her children. So the Spanish-speaking guy reaches his stop and gets off the bus, so I figure she must be done, right? Wrong-o! She keeps spouting her racist diatribe, except instead of coming up with new material, she goes back to the beginning and starts it again, almost verbatim. Like it was her racist speech she had memorized and she really wanted to get some mileage out of it. It was hilarious. Better yet, everyone sitting near her moved to the very back of the bus, one by one. So by the time I reached my stop, the lady was the only one in the front 2/3 of the bus and the other 10 or so passengers were all crammed in the very back. The lady had stopped talking by this point, but she had gone through her speech no less than four times. Say what you will about racists, but they have got their shit down pat.

People, this is just one example of why a portable CD player is a necessity for any LA bus ride. I'm counting the days until I get mine back from Charlotte. (Three!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home