Tuesday, November 02, 2004

"I have a lot of love to give. I just don't know where to put it."

I was putting off going to sleep, so I checked the DVD shelf for movies I hadn't seen in awhile, and ended up putting in Magnolia. I didn't watch all of it, just certain scenes. I've owned it a long time, but I think I've only watched it all the way through twice. It's a bit of a sit-through, but man, is it impressive. A case could certainly be made against the movie, but you've got to admit that it's ballsy. Paul Thomas Anderson is many things, but he is not timid. To use a labored sports metaphor, he swings for the fences. And I'd pick an uneven, ballsy movie over one that's solid but takes no chances. Of course, it helps that the acting in Magnolia is uniformly excellent.

And God, is it heartbreaking. Constantly heartbreaking. When Stanley wets his pants on the game show? Or William H. Macy proclaims his love for the bartender? Or when John C. Reily loses his gun and starts begging God to help him find it? Augh! Yeah, it's a hell of a movie.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

My favorite scene is actually a deleted one. It's when Mackey tells that story of waiting for a girl at his apartment. He's playing pinball when she walks in and then he gives her this great lie.

I actually forget what the lie is, but I do remember it being awesome. Trust me.

12:56 AM  
Blogger -Laurel- said...

PT anderson went to my college and dropped out. So yes, he is a smart man.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I remember that deleted scene. Doesn't he tell a really elaborate story about a dog or something? Maybe I'm misremembering. I haven't watched those deleted scenes in forever. I would have last night, but Emory wanted the TV for some reason. I guess there was some voting going on, or something?

I love PT Anderson. I just wish he were more prolific.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home