Monday, September 12, 2005

Junebug

The more I think about Junebug, the more I like it, and I already liked it immensely. There's just so many little details I noticed that reminded me of growing up in KC, or visiting with my relatives. The lime green stove, the house where you can always hear what's happening in every room, the loads of wood paneling, the weekday dinner at church. Man, that church scene reminded me so much of Englewood, where everyone knew each other and had for years and years. And truth be told, Amy's character's bubbly personality reminded me of a more hyperactive version of one of my cousins.

Frank and I agreed that the movie has one particular scene that's a misstep, but it's a credit to the movie that a bigger deal is not made about what happens in it. And most every other scene in the movie more than makes up for it.

This was also my first experience seeing a movie that starred someone I know in real life. It was a bit disconcerting at first, but Amy's so good in it that I stopped seeing her and started seeing her character.

Frank, I figured out where I recognized the husband from. He's the British rocker that Frances McDormand is sleeping with in Laurel Canyon. Nice dialect work, guy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Junebug. Andrew is from North Carolina and he said the imagery/feel/details were spot on and he loves Yo La Tengo (they did the soundtrack). We were very impressed with Amy's performance, how do you know her and why haven't I met her?

-undercoverpancakes

11:22 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

She's the girlfriend of Darren, the guy who played the lead in Frank's play.

We don't see her a whole lot. I saw her when we were doing the play, of course, but didn't see her again until Frank, Paul, and I went to her birthday party a few weeks ago.

The thing that's so great about her performance is that it could so easily veer into cartoonishness, but it never does. One could actually say that about the movie as a whole, really.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

That actor also plays Pollux Troy in Face/Off.

Pinckus!

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home