Wednesday, March 08, 2006

In which I see yet more movies

One was in an actual theater!

Flightplan - Decent enough thriller. It's always nice to see Jodie Foster. And if I haven't made it clear enough yet, I am so gay for Sarsgaard.

Capote - Really great. There were a few lines that were a little on the nose for me (the final lines, really), but Philip Seymour Hoffman is incredible and the movie's surprisingly well-written and directed. And yes, that makes four movies up for Best Picture this year that were better than Crash.

Okay, here's my one blogging thing about Crash. The subject has been beaten to death in my circle of friends, but here's a point I haven't made that often: Crash, as a narrative drama, is a total failure. There's almost no plot points that aren't either trite or predictable. Maybe two characters have an actual arc (and no, discovering that Matt Dillon isn't a sexually abusive piece of shit ALL the time is not an "arc"). It's not a compelling story. Which isn't really its point, to be fair, but being narratively interesting made have made up for its failures in message and tone.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw V For Vendetta the other day; first movie I've seen in a theater in almost three months.

I liked it, but I think I may like it more the second time through, because this time I kept distracting myself by trying to keep track of how close it was to the book.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Why is everyone getting to see this movie early except me?

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because we're better than you. Better people.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

DAMMIT!

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home