Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The fall season commences

Well, several shows have started already, but this is the week where a great deal of shows are returning or premiering, so I'm going to talk about television a bit this week.

Two episodes into the season and I can say this with certainty now: American Dad is better than Family Guy. American Dad had a pretty rock start in season 1, but it got progressively better, whereas Family Guy is really coasting. Both of their premieres this season were strong, but this past week Family Guy went right back in the crapper. Dad isn't as good as Family Guy was in its heyday (hayday? hay day?) but it's certainly the more consistent show now.

I've seen the Sudio 60 pilot twice now, once with Frank and once with Emory and Leslie. It was better the second time, mostly because I was prepared for Amanda Peet's acting that time. Every time she smilingly stares into space, her lips slightly parted, take a shot! Seriously, if she keeps this up she just might derail the show for me. But Whitford and Perry were delightful, and I have high hopes for the show. After all, Sports Night had a pretty weak pilot, too. Oh, and let's all take bets on which character's father has been having a secret affair for a specific number of years!

I wonder if Liz expects me to write recaps of Top Model this season. Well, I'm not going to do it. Several reasons.
1) They took a long time to write
2) I was not very good at them
3) Good recaps of that show can be found ALL OVER by people more dedicated than I

I'm looking forward to The Office premiere more than any other network show. Yeah, even more than the Mars! (Although you know I still love the Mars.)

Marc Singer continues his coverage of The Wire. During this last episode Clay Davis delievered possibly the longest "sheeeeeeet" in television history. It was awesome. Oh, and the rest was okay, too.

When does Battlestar start? Pretty soon, right? I wish I could pin down what it was about that show that keeps me at arm's length.

House is back. If you don't like the show, there's certainly nothing new to entice you. If you do like it, it's more of the same. I think my crush on Jennifer Morrison is spinning out of control, though. HOUSE!

I saw the premiere of Smith last night more or less by accident. That show might have the most B- or C-list movie stars of any new show this season. Ray Liotta! Virginia Madsen! Amy Smart! Johnny Lee Miller! Simon Baker! Shohreh Aghdashloo! It was pretty good, really. Your typical "assemble the team and pull off a heist" plot. I doubt I can be bothered to watch the whole season, but it was fine for what it was. Oh, and I was pleased when Chris Bauer showed up at the end. You might remember him as Frank Sobatka from season 2 of a certain HBO cop show.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Does the same person do all FOX leading ladies' hair this season?

"You're risking the patient's life!"

Ah, House.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Battlestar starts October 6th. Pretty soon!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home