Thursday, September 23, 2004

Smallville's my enemy

I got home in time today to catch the last 3/4 or so of the Smallville finale that Matt and Frank were watching on tape. It's important that I occasionally catch an episode so that my deep hatred of the show is justified. I didn't want the show to magically become good while my back was turned, you see. As always, I needn't have worried.

So hey, Lois Lane comes in this season. Perhaps you're wondering why they brought Lois Lane in, since this is supposed to be about Clark's early days and all. Add to that the regular presence of Lex Luthor and the occasionally guest-appreance by Perry White, and you've got most of the core Superman cast. I mean, what's the point of setting the show in Smallville if you're just going to have all the characters from Metropolis show up in Smallville? (What city is Metropolis supposed to be, anyway? St. Louis? (gasp) Kansas City?) So if instead of coming up with new characters, or actually focusing on the core cast you've got (I'm looking at you, Pete Ross), you just keep importing cast members from Superman, what then? Then the show just turns into Jim Henson's Superman Babies, doesn't it? And why include such pre-Crisis bullshit like the different colored Kryptonites? That's what you get for letting Jeph Loeb anywhere near your goddamn show. We know what a visionary he is. Hey, remember when Gough/Millar said Clark would never fly in their series? Well, he's flying all over in the season 4 premiere, but they dodge that bullet by claiming Clark isn't Clark when he flies, he's "Kal-El." Nice cop-out, guys, thanks.

I'm really hard on this show, I know. I'd be a lot easier on it if the dialogue and acting weren't uniformly awful. When Tom Welling is "Kal-El" he's supposed to look all intense and pissed except he can only look doofy. You just want to pinch his cheeks and say "Awww, issums all mad?" Frank describes his normal as expression as "Who took my fudgesicle?" which sums it up best, I think. Kristen Kreuk isn't much better, but the season 4 premiere mostly just has her (or her body-double, at least) traipsing around naked in Paris. She barely has to speak. Probably for the best. Michael Rosenbaum and John Glover are the only ones who ease my pain, although Rosenbaum's quality has declined since season 1.

This show really pisses me off. And it's not just that it's still on the air while Angel was cancelled. Although that's probably part of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home