Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Marvel vs. DC and The Flash

"The Basement Tapes" is always an interesting read, and this week Casey and Fraction tackle the old-timey argument of Marvel vs. DC, but from a writer's prespective. The column highlights many of the differences I perceive between the two companies and its characters. Particularly intresting is how Casey's interest in DC's heroes pretty much ends at their origin. It's a good piece.

This reminds me of when Emory was reading Geoff Johns' run on Flash. His big complaint was "Who wants to read about a superhero whose life is perfect?" It's a valid complaint with the run. Until "Blitz," there never seems to be any real danger. Even as the Rogues took over Central City at the same time the Thinker was taking over Keystone, I was thinking "yawn." He's the Flash! He can run at the speed of sound! I think he can handle it.

Which is why "Blitz" works so damn well. I recently re-read the entire Johns run up to and including "Blitz." Then I re-read "Blitz" again. And again. It's just fantastic. Here's Flash, with three years worth of build-up, overcoming all obstacles and leading, as Emory said, the perfect life. Beautiful wife, city that loves and supports him, and twins on the way. Then Zoom comes along to teach him a thing or two about tragedy. Through the story I was rooting for Zoom. Wally West did indeed need to face tragedy, because he's damn boring without it. And the consequences of Zoom's actions allowed Johns to completely overhaul the status quo of the series. Nice one. Can you imagine how cool it would have been if Casey and co. had been allowed to similarly overhaul Superman? I think that would have worked out quite well.

In the end, I'm with Casey. I prefer characters over icons. And I think the reason why "Blitz" works so well for me is that it brings a person who was rapidly becoming an untouchable icon into back to being a character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home