Friday, November 19, 2004

He can punch through a mountain!

It's been a long day and a long week, folks. Please indulge me whilst I geek the hell out.

As I said below, Cyclops has become my favorite character to play as in X-Men Legends. Which has led to jokes like this one: "Follow me, everyone! I don't know if you've heard, but I'm one of the most powerful X-Men!" This has been a fairly long-standing joke between me, Emory, and Frank, and I'm having trouble remembering where it originated. I think Frank was reading all of Emory's Essential X-Men collections and wondered why the overblown Claremont narration kept insisting how powerful Cyclops was. But don't quote me. Frank, feel free to elaborate if you remember where it started. The joke is that Frank and Emory both thought the idea of Cyclops being one of the most powerful X-Men was ridiculous. I mean, all he can do is shoot laser beams out of his eyes! ("It's not a laser beam! It's a powerful concussion blast!" is another part of the joke.) Since we do a lot of Legends playing, this joke springs up more and more often and never fails to get a laugh. But it's also got me thinking, and I've come to the conclusion that it's actually true. I would say Phoenix is definitely more powerful (and Prof. X and Emma Frost both have the telepathy cheat, as well, but neither have Phoenix's telekinesis) and Storm is, too. But Storm is bullshit on every level (as John always says, "What possible twist in your DNA could ever allow you to control the weather?"). And really, those are the only two who I'd say were more powerful. I guess Rogue, but her powers are highjacked from a more powerful superhero. I have to call bullshit on them. The other night I described to Frank that great issue in "From the Ashes" where Mastermind makes the X-Men think Cyclops is Dark Phoenix so Cyclops has to single-handedly fight the whole team. And he wins! Emory suggested Havok, and while he can indeed channel more energy, he can't control it. Plus, Cyclops can take him hand-to-hand easy, as has been proven several times in the past. So yeah, Cyclops really IS one of the most powerful X-Men.

So, um, how was your day?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home