Friday, November 19, 2004

Where did the hours go?

Last night I got home and played videogames more or less non-stop until I went to sleep. I ate some pizza and Frank and I ran and got some soda, but otherwise I just played and played, from 5:30 to midnight.

First thing I did was beat Katamari Damacy, the delightful and extremely Japanese game of rolling various objects up into a giant ball of crap. Your father, the King of the Cosmos, went on a tear and accidentally destroyed all the stars in the sky, so you've got to recreate them by rolling up a bunch of garbage. And, eventually, people. On the final level you grow so large that you consume buildings, bridges, Godzilla, and finally entire islands. Sure, countless people are probably dying, but you've got to recreate the moon, man! Sacrifices must be made. Words can't really describe how bizarre your conversations with the King of the Cosmos are, except to say if there really were a King of the Cosmos, he would probably talk much like that. It's only 20 bucks, so if you have a Playstation 2 then you should purchase it immediately. It also has one of the most infectious soundtracks I've ever heard on a videogame.

By the time I was demolishing all of Japan, Frank had come over, so once I restored balance to the cosmos we switched to the X-Box and X-Men Legends. It's been too long since I've played a multi-player smash-'em-up, not to mention one particularly suited to my geek sensibilites. Think of me what you will, but one of the greatest joys I've experienced recently is smashing through walls in the Morlock tunnels with a well-placed optic blast from Cyclops' ruby quartz visor. Cyclops has become my number one go-to guy. Last night Frank and I were basically just replaying levels Emory and I had already completed, and I was amazed how much easier the Morlock tunnels were with Cyclops handily blasting everything and everyone in sight while Wolverine (controlled by Frank) tore apart the rest of our enemies. (For the record, our other two team members were Beast and Jean. Beast for some extra brute force, and Jean for her patented and invalueable telepathic whammy. This team was no less than devestating and I saw no reason to change it for the remainder of the level. It should also be noted that we never lost a man.) I couldn't believe how difficult I had found the level the first time through. Obviously Emory and I's affection for Iceman was woefully misplaced. Sure, he can freeze dudes and put out fires, but you can knock him over with a feather. And a frozen dude does not equal an unconscious dude. I'll stick with Cyclops, thanks. For the next level on the USS Arbiter (where Emory and I are now), I see no reason to change this team combination, other than to replace Jean with Storm, given how many Sentinels populate the landscape. Nothing drops a Sentitnel faster than a managing a Storm/Cyclops mutant power combo.

I'd say the real drawback to the game is that the new characters you get aren't particularly useful, and are occasionally really crappy. I have yet to find any reason to ever use Jubilee. And playing as Nightcrawler or Gambit is awesome, but I can't pretend that there aren't other potential party members that do what they do, only better. Perhaps later levels will reveal their usefullness, but right now it seems that diversifying your team serves as a serious handicap. I cannot wait, however, until we get Colossus and Emma Frost.

Wow, I went on a bit there. But what can I say? That's what I did yesterday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home