Sunday, March 06, 2005

Like oil and water

Where do Jeff and Frank NOT belong on a Saturday night?

If you guessed "the trendy Hollywood club scene," you'd be absolutely right!

So Saturday night I was invited to this club Element in Hollywood, because it was apparently several people's birthdays, including my good friend Lindy, who was coming down to LA from Seattle (where she currently resides) specifically for this occasion. So I was on "the list" with one guest, and I brought Frank, since he is who I turn to for social occasions such as these. Long story short, Frank and I ended up standing outside for half an hour, waiting to be let in. Once we were almost to the front of the line, we heard the people in front of us being told that the cover was 20 bucks for men. Frank and I both kind of looked at each other, then Frank said "Do you maybe want to go back to my place, drink, and watch The Wire?" Yes. Yes I did. Very much. We scampered off, relieved. 20 bucks to get in, plus God knows how much for drinks, plus crowded, sweltering conditions? NOT MY SCENE. On the drive back to Frank's Liz and Emily called and invited us over to Hollywood House, where we drank and watched choice episodes from Angel season five. That was a vastly more satisfying evening, I think.

Man, some people do that EVERY WEEKEND. Can you imagine that? I can't. Of course, I can't imagine going out to a cramped and stifling bar every weekend, either. Why pay exorbitant prices for drinks just so you can be cramped, hot, and uncomfortable? Why not just go to someone's apartment, drink cheaply, and enjoy good company in a relaxed atmosphere? I suppose I'd change my tune if I had ever met anyone even remotely interesting at either a bar or a club, but I haven't, so suck it, cool kids. I'm not interested in your reindeer games.

4 Comments:

Blogger -Laurel- said...

The kind of people that frequent those places are not the kind of people I care to meet. So I don't go to those type of clubs, cover or no cover. They seem shallow and uninteresting.

I mean, not to stereotype, but you know what I mean. (read: that I'm right)

11:16 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I'll hesitate from making broad generalizations like that, since I was going to the club to meet several friends of mine who do enjoy that sort of thing (although they could hardly be accused of doing it every night or even every weekend). It's just not my thing.

11:22 AM  
Blogger -Laurel- said...

Right- that's why I said 'frequent' going once in a while can be ok. My sister likes dance clubs, so I'll go out dancing with her, but wouldn't really go otherwise.

You can also read it that the clubs themselves are shallow and uninteresting.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Fair enough.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home