Thursday, June 23, 2005

Onward and upward

But enough about my easily-avoidable, financially-debilitating mistakes. Let's talk about some music!

As stated long ago at the outset of this blog, I am not a "music person." I do not know all the cool bands, either hipster-y or actually popular. I don't listen to the radio. I buy, on average, perhaps three CDs a year.

But now that I have the car, and my portable CD player and everything, I find that I cycle through my meager CD collection very quickly, so am therefore forced to seek out new music, no matter how much I loathe doing so. So it's a good thing two excellent bands released new CDs recently!

Firstly, Sleater-Kinney's The Woods totally rocks. Like, HARD. Like, deliberately distorted, ripping guitar, like "BWAAAAAAAAAAH!" hard, you know? To use an overexposed catchphrase, this album is turned up to 11. And it's not really interested in being catchy. This isn't One Beat. Good luck finding an actual chorus in the first track. Which isn't to say the tracks aren't great. They are. And a few are of the "stuck in your head" variety, particularly the alarmingly light (for this album) "Modern Girl." That song will nest in your head and refuse to leave. I've been walking around this entire week singing "Myyyy whooooooole liiiiiife is like a picture of sunny daaaaay" to myself. Anyway, the album is awesome.

Yesterday I also got the new White Stripes album, Get Behind Me Satan. I heard part of it over at Frank's the other night (Jess was insistent on listening to "My Doorbell," which is indeed a damn good song). Anyway, for some reason I hadn't planned on buying this album, even though I was a huge fan of Elephant. But the songs I heard at Frank's were good, and the part of the album I got to listen to before my car magically vanished into fairyland were to my liking. So hooray, good music! I'm actually thinking of going to the record store and buying (gasp) MORE music! What is this world coming to?

Any recommendations?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, we were in Amoeba last week and they were playing that White Stripes album that I also wasn't planning on buying for some reason, despite the fact that I have most of their other stuff. After three songs or so I had it in my hands.

Mike

10:35 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Mike, I have been thinking about my doorbell. Specifically, when you are going to ring it.

11:12 AM  
Blogger -Laurel- said...

That song really grew on me. I don't have White stripes and have never really heard their stuff, but I think I'll go have a listen on Itunes. There must be a reason they are so popular.

Arcade Fire is good.

I discovered Head of Femur recently, but it's more something Mike would like more than you. But you might.


I usually listen to 89.9 in the mornings from 9 AM or 97X (WOXY) on internet radio. When I like a song I go to Itunes and check out the album. If I like a lot I buy the album, otherwise I buy the song. I'm compling a good mix CD very very slowly.

12:21 PM  
Blogger -Laurel- said...

I just realized my shitty grammar made the sentence 'it's more something Mike would like more than you.' sound like he'd like that album more than he likes you.

LOL :)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I'm sure there are many albums Mike likes better than he likes me.

*sniffle*

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't bought any music in AGES (except the woods) so I'm gonna try to locate some new music for me soon, as well. If I turn up with anything, I'll share.
--L

1:41 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

You should check on The White Stripes' first album. It rocks hard core.

Also, you should check out Elefant.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Matt's right. "Elephant" rules.

During lunch today I was listening to the song "Little Ghost", which is a delightful yarn about a guy who falls in love with a phantom only he can see. I like this album a lot and I'm only about halfway through it.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Funeral" by the Arcade Fire will make you jump and dance about.

"i" by the Magnetic Fields will make you drink cocktails and possibly turn you gay.

"Rock Swings" by Paul Anka will make you laugh.

"Arular" by M.I.A. will make you thrash your body so hard to its Bollywood dancehall rhythms that you just may spill your Red-Bull-and-Grey-Goose all over yourself.

And finally, I just realized you have a Farscape quote on your profile thingy, and that makes me happy.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks for the recommendations, all. I will look into that shit.

"And finally, I just realized you have a Farscape quote on your profile thingy, and that makes me happy."

"Listen, lady..." is actually the shorthand that my roomates and I use to sum up Chrichton's line deliveries for basically the entire first season (and argueably the entire run) of that series. Being in space with aliens that don't understand your pop culture references is SO EXASPERATING!

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home