Thursday, July 21, 2005

Comics are good for you

I know I haven't finished going over Comic Con, but I'm kind of sick of it so here are some breif reviews of comics I got at the Con or that Leslie and Emory bought yesterday! Hooray!

Sharknife - How does one describe Sharknife? Well, it's the story of a busboy at a Chinese restaurant who uses magic fortune cookies to change into a robotic ninja powersuit-thingy and fight the mystical monsters gestating in the restaurant's walls. It's that kind of book. The art is occasionally incomprehensible, but the pacing is so rapid that you hardly notice. Imperfect, but a blast.

Blue Monday Vol. 1: The Kids Are Alright - The bastards at Oni had sold out of Scott Pilgrim by the time I got to purchasing stuff, so on a whim I decided to give Chynna Clugston-Major's teen series a go (did I spell her name right?). Anyway, groovy teen Bleu Finnegan and her friends get in a prank war with the boys while Bleu tries to win tickets to an Adam Ant concert. It's vastly more charming than I make it sound. Major's manga-inspired artwork is really delightful, and I always appreciate it when teenagers swear. I'll certainly be checking out the next volume in the series (I believe they're up to four).

Astonishing X-Men #11 - Whedon and Cassaday are confirmed up to issue 25 of this series, so it looks like they'll be doing X-Men comics for the next 10 years! Ah, but I kid the lateness of this series. It's still the best. Sure, it's one of those "decompressed" comics, but why be overly verbose when Whedon nails every moment perfectly? Whedon's rock-solid grasp of the characters and Cassaday's always-gorgeous art easily smooth out some iffy plot bits (uh, did Xavier just telepathically talk to a machine?), and Whedon continues to mine Morrison's superb run to maximum effect. Plus, this issue has the best "to be continued" blurb possibly ever: "Next issue: XAVIER'S A JERK!"

The new issues of Y: The Last Man and Wonder Woman: I love these books carnally. Although you can't tell me Rucka actually intended Jonah for this when he introduced him in the first issue of his run. OR CAN YOU?

100 Bullets Vol. 8: The Hard Way: Ah, it's been too long. This series is feeling a little run down, though, as this volume seems decompressed in the bad way. This story most likely could have been told in half the pages. Wylie's the focus this time around, and I think we finally have all the Minutemen accounted for. There's some major shakeups in this volume, so if you've been following the story you'll want to check this volume out, but I'm really starting to wonder how Azzarello will be able to stretch this story out to 100 issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home