Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The Hammer totally fell

If you're like me, you were at a metal show last night. It was Into Eternity, Edguy, and Hammerfall. It ruled.

The show was at the Avalon(?). It used to be called the Palace, or at least it was when I was there last, seeing Soul Coughing my freshman year of college for what will most likely be counted as my favorite concert ever. Anyway, we were there pretty early, and we got some seats towards the back (it's not a huge venue, so seats were nice) and we kicked back and drank JD. It was Emory, Sam, and I, by the way. Anyway, after a bit these two 30-something teachers sat down next to us and struck up a conversation (mostly with Emory, since he's the only one who really knew anything about any of the bands we were seeing). They were good company. One of the teachers got drunk and launched into a story that we all thought was going to end with her being molested but wound up being about how she first came to love metal. Whew! A molestation story would have been awkward. At some point I mentioned that we were all 25 (a lie, since Sam's 24), and the teachers looked at the ground and I said "What, did we all just turn into fetuses just now?" and they said yes. This surprised me, because I usually don't think I look 25. But Sam and Emory both have facial hair, so they probably threw off her age-assumption.

Into Eternity was pretty good, if a bit too death metal for my tastes (Being a choirboy, I prefer harmony over growling), but the lead singer was hilarious. He was a total hamball. Like, Nathan Fillion level ham. He did not take himself seriously, which is a nice thing to see from a metal band, because, c'mon.

Edguy was funny, too. The lead singer was wearing these ridiculous, Corey Haim jams and we were all sort of wondering why someone would wear those until he pointed out that their bus had broken down and gone away, and this was all he had to wear. The story details were fuzzy, because those guys are German. But still, the band was cool.

After Edguy, our teacher friends left to go stand closer to the stage for Hammerfall, and their seats were quickly taken by three Heinous Drunk Bitches. They were screaming and gossiping and not paying attention and were totally Heinous and Drunk. Boo to you, HDBs.

Hammerfall ruled. They are Swedish power metal... to the extreme! They sang this song where the chorus was "Let the hammer... FALL!" which was cool, and immediately after that song was finished the lead singer was like "This next song is from our first album. It's called... HAMMERFALL!" What? What the hell was the title of that other song, then? And seriously, every other song would have an extended bit where the lead singer would sing "Whooooooooooaaaaa" and then have the audience sing it back to him. Just variations on "Whoa" the whole night. It was hysterical. They lost me a bit towards the end, as I was getting tired, and the songs weren't as good as their opening bits, and then this awesome fight happened 10 feet away from us... but then they played "Hearts on Fire" and everything was awesome again. Those hearts were totally on fire. And burning, burning with desire.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Sorry, Trumbo. Next time!

Hey, you should check your Begum messages.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

You like metal? My best friend's boyfriend is in an (increasingly) popular metal band - called Ketaset. I don't know too much about them, but they might have a few shows coming up at the Troubador? I'll see Erin tonight and ask...I think I them as one of my friend's on my myspace page, if you are interested.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Amanda - It's really Emory who's the metalhead in our house, and he brought me along, mostly for research into a comedy bit we are working on, and also because Hammerfall is pretty awesome.

Jenni - You're an addict.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home