Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A bit about television

So it looks like they cancelled Threshold. Naturally the only new hour-long sci-fi/horror offering that's been canned is the one I actually watch. Meanwhile, Invasion plods and plods and plods along. You know, I don't think a handful of people being replaced by alien/mer-people/whatever-they-are qualifies as an "invasion," do you?

Emory and Leslie say Surface is good. I've missed too much at this point to jump in now, I think.

Everyone I know seems to hate Ana-Lucia on Lost. I still find her more pleasant than Jack, Kate, Sawyer, or Locke. At least she has a good reason for being a dick, you know? Like Locke did, until his self-righteousness overcame all the goodwill he had built up. ("You've got to push the button, Jack" was the deal-breaker, if you're curious.) If this week's episode keeps up the pace, Lost could actually become a good show again. Let's hope they actually tell us Kate's origin! I'd really like to like her, since she is so very pretty.

5 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

See, I don't think she has that good a reason for acting the way she does. Yes, it's really traumatic what she went through, but to just badger and abuse the rest of her island mates the way she does (I'm thinking of Bernard and the Psychologist in particular) is completely unwarranted and, honestly, saps any sympathy I ever considered having for her up to that point. Even the way she went after her killer screams pettiness. How can you possibly find her "more pleasant" (don't know about that word choice) than someone like Jack?

2:34 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

That's almost exactly how I feel about Sawyer, oddly enough. I think the difference is that when Sawyer's acting like a petty swaggering preening too-pretty bitch, it just comes off as fake to me and I don't buy his pain. Meanwhile AL's reactions and actions, while more extreme, come off as believable for a person who's been through extreme trauma -- not likable, necessarily, but understandable.

I mean, I also like Michelle Rodriguez a whole bunch. So I have that pre-existing bias. But AL's a strong, goal-oriented character. Which isn't a common thing on Lost.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Yeah, it basically comes down to the fact that her life both on and off the island was much harder than most of the other main characters', so her motivations are much more understandable. Her behavior is no less irritating than most of the other characters', but it comes from a much more real place. I mean, she's murdered three people.

Of course it is also completely possible that I will grow as tired of her as I have of most of the other characters, but I wouldn't be surprised if her behavior is softened in upcoming episodes.

2:06 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

Listen, you guys present plausible reasons, but I just can't sympathize with her given her behavior (last night's ep not withstanding). Who knows, she may grow on me.

I could only imagine her getting softer in later eps. I mean, that's really the only direction to go in. Liz mentioned a possible bias in favor of Girlfight. I only note it because I now realize that I've had fairly negative reactions to her in most of her work (and no, I haven't seen Girlfight.

Additionally, I don't see the problems that the other characters have had to deal with as being any less "real." I think that's underselling them quite a bit. They may not always be as interesting, but they are always as real. The difference between them and AL is that she's dealt with murder.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Hold up a bit, Sawyer has dealt with murder, too. And while I've never particularly cared much for him, I found him more tolerable if only because he didn't command a leadership role. When you're not in the spotlight, your flaws tend to be less accentuated.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home