Friday, November 04, 2005

My lovely lady WHAT?

I'm sorry, but if you like the song "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas, we are no longer friends.

A brief history of my relationship with this song: Emory had much enjoyed the Peas' "Elephunk," so he bought their new album without hesitation. One afternoon, he called me into his room. "Jeff," he said, "I need you to listen to this song. Tell me that it's not worst thing you've ever heard." Then he played "My Humps." It was, indeed, one of the worst things I'd ever heard. For those who haven't heard it, the chorus goes a little something like this:

I’m a make, make, make, make you scream
Make u scream, make you scream.
Cos of my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump.
My hump, my hump, my hump, my lovely lady lumps.

Sort of like a naughty Doctor Seuss rhyme, isn't it? But it's even worse set to music. Fergie sings it in a way that makes her sound like a really dumb 12-year-old. She sounds like she doesn't understand what she's saying and is just saying it so the boys will pay attention to her. And also, "LOVELY LADY LUMPS"??? As Sarah noted last night, "When I hear 'lump' I think of breast cancer." Ugh! Oh, it's awful! Anyway, Emory sold the CD back to Amoeba, and the terror had passed.

Except now it's a single. And it regularly tops the list of most downloaded songs on the Apple main website. And last night I saw two people perform it at karaoke. It's ALREADY on karaoke. God help us all.

7 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I would ask if it were a good night of karaoke, aside from the lumps. But no. Lumps mean no goodness.

I hadn't heard this song yet, so I checked out the iTunes preview. The only consolation I had at the end of that thirty seconds of pain was knowing that we could still be friends.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I'm glad we're still friends. That could have been awkward whenever I came over to see Paul.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Because you never come over to see me?

Well, you don't, really.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I suppose I come over to see you more often then you come over to see me.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

What, and go to Glendale? Please!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I am going to go to your party, of course. But I'll be rolling my eyes the whole time.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're having a party? The hell? Why wasn't I informed or invited? Are you phasing me out?

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home