Monday, February 20, 2006

Disco whiskey

Friday night Mike and I walked over to the Improv Olympic to see Liz read a short essay for their "Chicken Scratch" segment. It was delightful, as expected. Liz writes good. On our way in (we met Paul, Aimee, and Jenni there) Paul and I noticed that on the schedule that after "Chicken Scratch" there was something called "Mario Kart." "Oh," we thought, "what a cute name for an improv group." Only once the readings were over this girl got onstage and said "Mario Kart tournament is up next!"

Ha! WHAT? Yes.

It was basically a four-round deal to find the four finalists who would compete at the end. Most everyone there either didn't know how to play or didn't know how to play like we knew how to play, because the final four were me, Paul, Mike, and Doug. (Doug, Asa, Alan, and Corinne showed up too.) As Mike noted, it was just like a typical night with us, except strangers were watching. Naturally the big final race was Rainbow Road, and Paul wound up taking it, getting a hefty lead and holding it while Mike, Doug, and I squabbled behind him. I wound up getting fourth, since Doug got a lightning at the last second and blew right by me at the finish line. It was bad luck, mostly, so I don't feel bad about it. And Paul got to achieve one of his life-long dreams.

Afterwards Doug (I think it was Doug, since it sounds like a Doug idea) concocted the idea of Disco Whiskey, the drink that's never the same way twice. It's delicious no matter where and how you have it!

We hit Big Wang's after the Improv, then went back to Hollywood House, where we stayed up until 6 AM because we are not very smart. At least two of our crew had to get up early the next day. Still, a good time was had.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

The piece flows better if the announcement of a Mario Kart tourney and the actual participation in said tourney is not interrupted by disco whiskey and all its glories. I mean, I was certainly sipping mine as I totally schooled Asa and the other two fools I was up against on the Banshee Boardwalk.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home