Thursday, February 23, 2006

Smattering

I know I've done a poor job of entertaining you these last few days. I can't help how goddamn boring my life is. Sorry!

I came home yesterday to find Emory and Leslie finishing up Conan the Destroyer. The final action scene (against a giant rubbery monster dude) was way more exciting than anything that happened in Conan the Barbarian, although Emory said everything leading up to it is really, really bad. But perhaps Emory's judgement was clouded by his intense hatred of Grace Jones. I don't know. Special Destroyer bonus: Olivia D'Abo, being all uncomfortably hot since she was 16 or 17 at the time.

Speaking of uncomfortably hot (he said, sequeing oh-so-smoothly), why did I have to wear my faux turtleneck the day it decides to actually be warm? I was roasting outside today, but at least I sort of looked like Patrick McGoohan. I am not a number! I am a FREE MAN!

The other night at Frank's I saw Before Sunset for the first time. I really, REALLY liked it.

Speaking of talky indie films, McKenna had apparently also gotten the Criterion edition of Metropolitan, (featuring, I keep forgetting, Nell's sister) which reminded me that I wish to rewatch the films of Whit Stillman, a man whose works I enjoyed immensely when I was 18, but might feel differently about now. I also want to rewatch Kicking and Screaming, a movie I thought was by Whit Stillman when I rented it nine years ago, but was actually written and directed by Noah Baumbauch, who went on to become Wes Anderson's new writing partner and also to make The Squid and the Whale. Kicking and Screaming also featured Olivia D'Abo, and so the post comes full circle and I may bid you adieu.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was 15 in that movie. That's why I kept comparing her to the model with testicles on House.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEA, I was involved in something that happened on your blog! Glad you liked Before Sunset, I own it and Before Sunrise if you ever want to have yourself a marathon.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

IMDB says D'Abo was born in '67, and Conan 2 came out in '84. Not that it really matters, since it's uncomfortable no matter what.

Daisy, I've seen part of Before Sunrise, but never the whole thing, so I'll probably take you up on that one of these days.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Was this the same mock-turtleneck you wore when you were actually McGoohan for Halloween?

2:54 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Nope. When I was The Prisoner for Halloween it was just a normal-necked black shirt. I can't stand real turtlenecks, and even my mock turtleneck drives me bonkers if I wear it long enough. I just don't like anything touching my neck.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The name "mock turtle" in the Alice book -- is it "Wonderland" of "Looking-Glass"? -- is a play on the phrase "mock turtleneck," right? That's very clever.

But, wait, did they HAVE turtlenecks, or mock turtlenecks, at the turn of the last century? Is there some other sort of mock turtle material?

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home