Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Brick

Brick is awesome. Just a fine old film noir wrapped up in a nice new package. It's so rare for me to be so totally involved in a film these days, but this one kept my rapt attention. It really only lags at the very end, when there's a little too much speechifyin', but that's easily forgiven. Film noir's such a well-beaten path at this point that the twists of the plot seem kind of comfortable and inevitable, and that's not a detriment either. It's a nice acknowledgement of "high school is the world in miniature", without any irritating irony or winking to the camera. Plus its dialogue sounds like Miller's Crossing's, and you could do much worse by me than to remind me of Miller's Crossing. I would say that it's the best movie I've seen this year, but keep in mind that I've only seen two movies in the theater so far this year (how times have changed). Still, it's true.

Oh, Nora Zehetner? Maybe we could go out for drinks or something, sometime. Or coffee and pie, oh my.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home