Monday, May 16, 2005

Haughty Melodic

From what I've listened to thus far of the new Mike Doughty album, I think I prefer when he's just by himself, rather than backed by a band chock full of bland adult contemporary stylings. "Overproduced" is the word that comes to mind. Doughty's strengths are his vocals and his lyrics. Why bury them?

I'll have time today to listen to the whole album, since I have to go out to Santa Monica and all, and maybe it'll start growing on me, but right now I'm more than a little disappointed.

Perhaps I should not have spoiled myself by downloading bare-bones versions of several of these songs a few years ago. Maybe I just need time to adjust to the new versions. Let's hope that's it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

It's growing on me. Whew.

It's going to take a lot of time to get used to the Gray Ghost backup singers, but I dig the more up-tempo Sunken-Eyed Girl.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

It IS "GREY Ghost." I changed it to "Gray" for reasons I'll never understand. Anyway, that song wins everything, ever.

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, "gray" is how we spell it in America, although I almost always employ "Grey" out of affection for Laura and Gandalf. "E"s are sexy.

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home