Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Inside (of my butt)

Finally saw the first two episodes of Tim Minear's new show The Inside, and I'm not wholly convinced yet.

The show has an intriguing premise: Peter Coyote runs a small squad of FBI agents who sepcialize in serial killers, only Coyote's really creepy and manipulative. The newest recruit is an untested agent who was kidnapped and tortured by a serial killer when she was 10. She has a knack for getting to "the inside" of a serial killer's brain. Yes, like Manhunter. Only less Michael Mann-y.

Rachel Nichols plays the lead, Rebecca, and she's wooden and distant to the point of distraction. In the first episode Emory and I thought her big secret would turn out that she was a robot. (Someday, some character we think is a robot will actually BE a robot, and then you'll all be sorry!) Anyway, she kind of sucks. But the show kind of rests on her shoulders. And Jay Harrington, playing the squad's moral center, is kind of annoying. But Adam Baldwin's around, basically just playing Jayne again, but that's still better than no Adam Baldwin at all. And Peter Coyote is always a welcome presence. (Emory had the legitimate question of whether Coyote is also on USA's The 4400, since he was in the initial miniseries. Anyone know?) Anyway, the show is in the basic "case per episode" mode, which rather limits my interest, but the subplot of Coyote's manipulations is cool, and Rebecca has some secrets left. It's basically C.S.I. with actual characters, so there are worse things, although it doesn't really fill my need for long-form narrative fiction that I require of all my TV shows nowadays.

I'll probably watch it when I'm home, but nothing I've seen so far has made it a must-see. Still, Minear, Espenson, and Fury all working together again warms my heart.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Also (I'm too lazy to re-log-in to Blogger to edit the post), Minear's humor seems weird and out of place on this show. Maybe I just need to get used to grounded, real-world FBI agents trading Whedon-esque quips, but right now it's off-putting.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Ah, the dude rape episode.

In answer to your 4400 question: Peter Coyote's character was the chief of NotHomelandSecurity during Season 1, but has been replaced by Stern Lippy Lady for Season 2 and I hardly miss him.

Fuck, I love 4400. Just saying.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Yes, I saw the dude rape episode.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Um, no.

Why are you such a homophobe?

2:48 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Someone needs to cut down on her sugar today, I think...

3:03 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I rest my case.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Seriously, tell Emory to Netflix "Wire In The Blood". It's so good.

I saw the first couple episodes of "The Inisde" just after I polished off the first seaon and a half of WItB. "The Inside" seemed pretty stale in comparison.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wire in the Blood is on my Comcast On Demand, so I assume you lot also have access. I think it's Series 2, though.

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home