Monday, July 25, 2005

All Star comics

I know most of you zone out the moment I bring up comics, but c'est la vie.

All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder (yes, that's really the title), is a problematic book, to say the least. Admittedly I read it surrounded by people talking while I was more than a little intoxicated, but you'd think that would make the book better, at least. Here's a take from Paul O'Brien which largely falls in line with what I thought of it.

At the heart of things, All Star Batman is just yet another book that appeals exclusively to those who are already reading superhero books. Frank Miller writing! Jim Lee art! A re-telling of Dick Grayson's origin as Robin that is pretty much just like it was in normal continuity! Four pages of Vicki Vale in her underwear because shit, man, that's hot! It's all pretty embarassing and it'd be just about the last book I'd recommend to anyone who's not already reading comics, unless I wanted a prime example of How Not To Do Things. Too goofy to be taken seriously and too racy to be all-ages, it's just a genuinely weird effort all around. Well at least All Star Superman is still coming up, eh?

Meanwhile, over at Marvel, I can't tell you how relieved I am the the "Crossover" arc in Ultimate Fantastic Four is not a crossover with the original Marvel universe. That would have been the worst. Now I might conceivably enjoy the arc! Hooray!

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Yeah, I saw ASB&RtBW in the store a couple weeks back, got excited, picked it up, leafed through it, then put it down with a sad look on my face. $3 for that? Count me out. Way out.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

C'mon, Alex! Vicki Vale's in her underwear and high heels for several pages! That's SO HOT! Also, women lounge around in matching underwear and high heels all the time. Am I right, ladies?

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home