Friday, October 07, 2005

Popularity contest

The two big people-friend-community-places that I have accounts with have each implemented a new unique, diabolical feature.

MySpace has invented the "Top 8." Basically you can choose your top 8 people on your friends list, and these people's pictures will show up on your profile. I suppose you could use this to up the profile on some friend of yours who's buried in your massive friend list, but let's face it: this is a popularity contest. This is "Here are my favorite 8 people on my friend list. The rest can suck eggs." That sort of thing. It's only been an hour, and I've already seriously considered using this option to fuck with people. If I had a higher profile on MySpace, I probably would. Anyway, this option can only be used for evil.

Friendster has now implemented a system that tells you who has been looking at your profile. I know! No more gazing at cute, unattainable-but-I-wouldn't-try-to-attain-them-anyway-because-they-are-20-years-old girls without seeming like a creepy voyeur. In other news, it's a nice ego boost to find that someone you thought didn't think about you anymore suddenly shows up on that list. At least she's still interested in my favorite books and/or TV shows! Or possibly my upcoming birthday! Of course, Friendster gives you the option of turning this feature off, so any hand-wringing is pretty much moot. But it rounds out the post nicely!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God! I've got to get to Friendster right away!

Also, WHY IS MY INTERNET CONNECTION RUNNING SO SLOWLY?! It's like I have dial-up!

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home