Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Ouch

The reason you'll never catch me saying Battlestar Galactica is the best show on television is episodes like this one last Sunday, which actually beat out the Tigh "comedy" episode in suckitude. (As Asa noted, the Tigh episode was the show trying something new and not being very good at it, while this episode was doing what Galactica should supposedly be good at, and doing it even worse than the comedy.) I mean, the retroactively-inserted girlfriend (who we kept seeing the same damn footage of, over and over until I felt like I was watching The Constant Gardener again), the black market being located on a single ship, the sheer contrivance of every line and action taken... ugh. Oh, and Mark Verheiden? Between this ep and the sub-par Lucy Lawless episode, you are clearly the weak link in the writer's room here.

Man, the Pegasus/Resurrection Ship three-parter was unrelenting in its awesomeness. When Galactica falls, it falls far.

6 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Look, I can't talk about this show in anything resembling an objective fashion. But that episode... not my favorite. Though yay for Dualla Getting A Clue and sticking with Billy! That brought me joy. Billy deserves all the happiness in the world.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be interesting: if all the Cylon sleepers among our heroes were just the characters who starred in Galactica 1980 (Boomer, Zee). Tnen Adama would SURELY be a Cylon.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I think Anonymous menas Admiral Adama, not Apollo Adama.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

First off, BSG is the best show on television. :)

Secondly, in Ron Moore's podcast he personally apologizes for this episode. It's pretty funny (sad?).

Thirdly, I like Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down, because it has my favorite BSG line.

"If she's not a Cylon, we're in a lot of trouble."

Fourthly, boo to Lee's shitty backstory.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Y'know, I was just coming here to ask if it was true if Moore apologized for the episode. I'm curious what he said, since I can't do anything sound-related at work.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't actually think Adama is a Cylon. That's just been my favorite joke to make since that one Cylon said so.

That was me who posted as "Anonymous." For some reason I couldn't get the "Other" button to work.

But aren't you impressed with my cursory knowledge of Galactica 1980?

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home