Tuesday, September 26, 2006

There was a weekend, right?

Everyone went to Disneyland and had a great time. I stayed at home and read a book.

THE END

No, just kidding. Kim came over Friday night (and didn't leave until Sunday night, so just assume she was along for all the following adventures). We had dinner and headed over to Sam's place for his birthday festivities. I hadn't seen many of those Westside kids in quite a while, so it was a good time. Sam's bed is tiny. We asked him how he slept on it and he said he liked to curl up. It was then that I realized that Sam's bed is tiny by design, because it is a womb-surrogate. FACT.

Saturday I did... something? My memory is so bad, y'all. Kim and I... had lunch? And then we did some other stuff? I believe at some point Kim, Emory and Leslie all took a nap (not all in the same bed) and I read Jonathan Strange. I do know that in the evening I showed Kim some season 5 Simpsons episodes because she had never seen an entire episode of it in her life. It was sort of disorienting when I had to explain who Sideshow Bob was, but she seemd to like the episodes she saw.

Sunday we went over to Mike's for some Rifftrax action on XXX and Crossroads. They were great. Mike Nelson seems comfortable in this format now, and the jokes come more often and are consistently funnier. But Crossroads itself provided the biggest laugh of the afternoon with the choice dialogue "There's bathrobes!" Say it and impress your friends!

The weekend capped off with a Wire viewing, as all good weekends should.

4 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

oh thank god i'm not the only one.

i, too, had never seen a single episode until a couple of months ago. upon learning this, a couple of my friends insisted that i take home their dvds of some season (i don't even remember which). i watched a half dozen or so of the episodes, but they just didn't seem funny to me.

maybe it's one of those "you had to be there" kind of things...

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think The Simpsons is so essential to the shaping of modern television and comedy and cartoons and, indeed, to the entire worldview and sensibility of just about every North American born between, say, 1977 and 1987, that if you happen to fall into that generation and have somehow never seen it, you really don't need to, because all the rhythms of your conversation and relationships and aesthetic have already been so shaped by it. I don't think it's a question so much of "You had to be there," as "You ARE there," so what seems so special?

Also Jeff, Saturday I made you and Kim pancakes. Dick.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I think there are a few seasons of The Simpsons that are actually part of my genetic makeup. Frank's not far wrong.

Oh, right! Pancakes. They were good.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! They were okay. I'm still refining my technique.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home