Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Now I DEFINITELY won't see it

I was in Border's yesterday, reading the second trade of Supreme Power (still good!), when I noticed the music being piped in over the loudspeakers. It took me a minute or two to figure out it was the soundtrack to The Polar Express. Let me just say that I opposed the film version of The Polar Express to start with, but now that I know an elf played by Steven Tyler belts out a number entitled "Rockin' On Top of the World" at some point in the film, I can easily call it an abomination without ever having to see a frame. And there's a toe-tapping number about hot chocolate! God, I hope they're not playing that the next time I'm in there.

Speaking of filmic abortions of children's classics, did anyone see The Cat in the Hat? It's started showing up on cable and Emory and I decided to watch the beginning. It truly has to be seen to be believed. You know the situation is dire when the Cat says "That's how I get from my world to your world!" What? The Cat has a "world?" We had to turn it off about forty minutes in. Unbearable.

2 Comments:

Blogger McBean said...

I saw The Cat in the Hat. I gotta say, any 72 page CHILDREN'S book turned into an 82 minute movie is wrong. Very, very wrong. Even if you cast Mike Myers and Dakota Fanning in it.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Oh, Dakota Fanning. Why aren't you in more good movies?

Exactly. You can't take a short story, stretch it to feature length, and expect the story to retain any of its original charm. The best you can hope for is a whole different sort of charm, which those two movies apparently had trouble coming up with.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home