Friday, January 28, 2005

Misadventures in test screenings

So last night Matt, Emory, Leslie, Paul, Frank, Jess and I went to a preview screening of The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Pandemonium ensued.

First Jess, Matt and Frank weren't in line with us when the lady came by to stamp our passes, so they each had to hunt her down individually. Poor Jess got rebuffed by jerky staffer twice before actually finding the woman we told her about.

Then, once we got up to the front of the line, Paul and I (we were pass buddies) were whisked into the theater lobby and into the line for the screening only to notice that everyone in line had golden tickets of guaranteed entrance except us. So we had to run back outside and talk to three different people before we were directed to the correct ticket guy where we then had to explain that somehow, and we weren't grifting him (yet), he simply had not handed us tickets when we walked past him earlier. Thankfully, he believed us. Finally, with tickets in hand, we made our way back in line, only to realize that Matt was still outside, since apparently the screening had reached its maximum amount of 25 year-olds halfway through our merry band, and the ticket guy had turned him away. Frank and Jess only got in by claiming to be 23. We all felt horrible, since not only was Matt the only one not to get in, he was the one who had gotten us the passes in the first place. I wanted to go talk to him, but he had already vanished outside.

Anyway, we got decent seats all sitting next to each other, but we were really bummed about Matt. Paul and I went out to the lobby to get our complimentary popcorn and Coke only to run into Matt, who had a change of heart about leaving. They had given him a free pass for another movie, and he decided to see The Life Aquatic. But seeing that he hadn't left, I decided to enact my elaborate ticket grifting plan.

See, to get into the screening you needed your magical golden ticket. But if you left the screening theater for whatever reason, they stamped your hand so you could get back in. So I, at Paul's suggestion, did a little test run to see if you could get back in the theater with just your handstamp. It worked. Once back inside, I ran into Leslie on her way out, handed her my ticket, and told her to give it to Matt, and off she went. A few minutes later, she returned and informed me that while she got in with just her handstamp, they made the guy directly behind her produce his ticket in addtion to the handstamp. The fates were with us! A few minutes after that Matt made it in and we were all content.

It was also Special Guest Star night, since almost all of us ran into someone we knew. I saw Mark from the Oxy Chorale. Nothing brings our people together like a preview screening!

Between this and Hellboy, though, I'm looking forward to seeing a screening that does not involve panic and narrow escapes. Those things are stressful!

Oh, the movie. I'll talk about it later.

1 Comments:

Blogger -Laurel- said...

I am afraid.

Please tell me it was not total shit. that would break my heart.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home