Tuesday, January 25, 2005

And the Oscar goes to...

...mediocrity!

If you haven't seen the list of Oscar nominees yet, you can view it here.

Nothing too surprising, eh? I actually have yet to see most of the Best Picture contenders, although I really want to check out Million Dollar Baby. Then again, my favorite movies this year (The Incredibles and Kill Bill 2) were never really considered Best Picture contenders.

While I'll do a bigger rundown when we get closer to Oscar time (and when I've seen a few more big nominees), here are my big hopes.

The Incredibles for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Screenplay. How great would it be for Incredibles to best Dreamworks' two outdated-pop-culture-reference-laden, souless corporate constructs? Pretty damn great. And I think it's going to win. It will most likely not win for Best Original Screenplay, but I'll settle for Eternal Sunshine to take that category.

Clive Owen for Best Supporing Actor in Closer. Sure, Thomas Haden Church winning would be swell, and Morgan Freeman deserves an Oscar more than almost any other working actor (with the exception of Jeff Bridges), but Clive Owen walked away with Closer. Possibly my favorite performance this year.

Speaking of overdue Oscars, just give Martin Scorcese the statue, already. As embarassing as it would be to hand him the Oscar in a really lackluster year for cinema overall, the man has deserved one many times over. Clint Eastwood has one already, to boot.

And, well, that's really it. Not a lot to get super excited for this year. I like Sideways a lot, but I know it won't win. And I really enojoyed so few other films this year that it just leaves the films I liked "okay" to duke it out. This Oscar race is shaping up to be like two years ago, and that's not a good sign.

UPDATE: Liz also talks about the nominations, and she's more thorough than I am. And has seen more of the movies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home