Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Pain don't hurt

So I wrote this big post about how great Roadhouse is, but then Blogger ate it. Boooooo! Anyway, if you haven't seen Roadhouse, you haven't truly lived. It takes place in an alternate universe, not disimilar to our own, but where bouncers are famous celebrities. And it has choice dialogue like this:

"Pain don't hurt."
"It's my way or the highway."
"That girl has entirely too many brains to have an ass like that."
(during sex) "You're going to be my regular Saturday night thing."
"I used to fuck guys like you back in prison."
"You fuck with him, you seal your fate."'
"What if somebody calls my momma a whore?" "Is she?"

And that's just the tip of the iceberg! Let's not forget Sam Elliot and his greasy mane of hair. Or villainous Ben Gazzara and his blatant disregard of traffic laws!

I had forgotten that the movie takes place in Missouri, "outside Kansas City." It just makes the whole thing even dearer to my heart.

5 Comments:

Blogger -Laurel- said...

I think I sold like $250 worth of markers to the lady in that movie. I forget her name- kelly lynch? Roadhouse is the one ith swayze right?

9:20 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

This movie is absurdly quotable.

"Know what I don't like about you? You're a bleeder."

Or Swayze's final fight with the head tough...

"I used to fuck guys like you in prison!"

What?! Uh, okay. Fight, then.

Ben Gazzara also has the most amazing character intro, as you've touched on. He's evil because he swerves giddily all over the two-lane road. Brilliant!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Ben Gazzara swerving = evil.

Ben Gazzara swerving and gaily singing "Sh-Boom" = EVIL AND TOTALLY LOVING IT.

That fight near the end is hysterical. Not only is the prison line great, but Swayze can't even think of any witty repartee. In response to the villain's taunts he just says "Fuck you" and "You're such an asshole." It's like a playground fight, if a playground fight ended with a dude's throat getting ripped out.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Maybe I should see this movie.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

OH SHIT! You have not seen Roadhouse?

Do it! RIGHT AWAY!

IT HAS MONSTER TRUCKS!

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home