Thursday, January 20, 2005

He just annoys me, is all

Here we go again!

People who are fans of The O.C. in general and Adam Brody in particular... I DO NOT GET YOU!

I'm not getting up on my high horse, here. I am not opposed to angsty teen soaps in general. I will happily admit that Paul and I had a very amusing love/hate relationship with the first season of Dawson's Creek. But everything on The O.C. feels so calculated and crass. And the leads are such bad actors. Except Peter Gallagher, of course.

I confess I haven't seen that many episodes, but still, if you introduce a show-within-a-show called The Valley that all your characters adore, that's a level of smugness I'm not really interested in embracing. But I think I might enjoy the show more if I saw several episodes in succession. Maybe I could get swept up in the ridiculousness of the whole affair. I leave the possibility open that I may one day enjoy the show on some level.

The same cannot be said for Adam Brody. I'm not knocking his acting. Of the four young leads, he seems to be the best actor (although I would not say he is great). However, on every episode I've seen, his character walks and talks exactly like the most annoying kid I ever knew back in high school. One day I'm glad I never have to see that kid again, then the next day here he is on my TV screen, and what's worse, EVERYONE ADORES HIM. And not only is he annoying, but he has co-opted all my own geek interests! So now the celebrated pop culture face of geekdom is THAT KID I COULDN'T STAND IN HIGH SCHOOL!

I know. It's a personal problem. It's not you, it's me. You did not know this kid, so your love of Adam Brody continues outward unabated. Yet the fact remains that...

I DO NOT GET YOU!

2 Comments:

Blogger -Laurel- said...

Nah, man. O.C. sucks ass. To make matters worse it was apparently created by some 26 or 27 year old who had never worked in TV before but happened to know/be related to the producer or something.

So, go ahead and hate the O.C.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

In all fairness, Josh Schwartz was a USC Screenwriting student who dropped out junior year because he sold a screenplay. He then proceeded to do the things one does when one is a sold screenwriter who hasn't seen a project get made. This is to say, he wrote lots on various things that never saw the light of day. Now, of course, fame and early success have made him a bloviated asshole, and the character of Seth Cohen has shared this same fate. But while I have a lot of problems with The OC, the early episodes were pretty well written. The show got on the air based mostly on merit. Can't say that too much, these days.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home