Tuesday, July 26, 2005

A bit about the Emmys

Sure, Six Feet Under (ugh) and Deadwood (yay!) got nods for best Drama series, but everyone should note that the only series writing award Emmy-favorite HBO is up for is for The Wire, specifically the episode "Middle Ground." Believe me when I assure you that "Middle Ground" is argueably the best Wire episode ever, thus making it one of the best single episodes in the history of televison. For those of you who've watched the show (all none of you), it's the second-to-last episode from season 3, the one that begins with Omar and Brother Mouzone's tense confrontation and ends with the death of a major character. The Wire has never been an episodic show, but this one has it all, as the full crushing weight of plots stretching back to the beginning of the second season come to a head.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm hoping it will win.

Also, I like all the guys up for Lead Actor in a Drama Series, but there is acting, and then there is Ian McShane as Al Swearengen.

Maybe I fawn over HBO's stuff a bit much, but I'd do less of it if any other network made programming that was worth a damn. (Aw, come back Arrested Development and Veronica Mars! I meant besides you! You too, Battlestar Galactica.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

If you would be so kind, I need to borrow the first season of The Wire from you. I've got some time off coming up. That'd be swell.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

That's really more of a request for the dude who actually owns it (that being Emory).

2:42 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

And he may be reticent to part with it, since he usually doesn't like lending out stuff he hasn't watched yet (yes, he STILL hasn't watched it on DVD).

2:47 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Not like he hasn't had time. Ah well.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home