Thursday, July 28, 2005

Speaking of San Diego...

Which reminds me, I never did finish my Comic Con wrap-up. This is mostly for my own benefit, so I remember things.

SATURDAY

-We sleep in late again, and when we get to the Con I head for the Cup O' Joe panel with Marvel EIC Joe Quesada. The most delightful news for me is the announcement of a new Peter David X-Factor series. Hooray! Meanwhile, Emory and Ethan set up their permanent residence in Hall H. They were there the whole day.

-On the floor I run into Ethan E and Meredith. Ethan is sporting Teddy Dunn's badge (Teddy Dunn being the actor who plays Veronica Mars' ex. Ethan works for Joel Silver, see, and Silver produces Mars), which gives me a belatedly genius idea. I could have called Frank, gotten details about the class he and Teddy Dunn had together, and then gone to the Veronica Mars panel and insisted I WAS Frank, armed as I would have been with personal anecdotes and a badge with Frank's name on it. I totally missed my chance to prank Teddy Dunn. I kick myself.

-I decide I want to see the Serenity panel enough to wait in the ginormous line, so I do so. For an hour. But I get in! Ethan and Emory have managed to save a seat for me. Joss Whedon and the cast are as funny as ever. They are all a bunch of smart-asses, and I love them. Adam Baldwin turns out to be alarmingly earnest. Nathan Fillion is the biggest ham on planet earth. I remember when Fillion was just tagging along with Whedon two years ago, when Whedon was relegated to one of the mid-size panel floors. Now they've filled up a 6,500-seat auditorium. Nice one, guys.

-My direct deposit has gone through, so I bought a couple of T-shirts. One of the Flash logo, and one with the NERV logo (you know, from Eva).

-I figure the King Kong panel and Tenacious D would be cool to see, so I head back to Hall H, only the line is roughly the length of seventy football fields. I give up. Apparently it was awesome.

-That night I Leslie and I drop Ethan and Emory off then meet everyone else at the Masquerade. We're out in the signing area, watching it on a giant screen. These guys in front of us keep standing up and blocking our view, so we yell at them. Meredith threw a plate.

-Jenni and Laurel sneak in a bottle of rum within several 20 oz. Cokes. Asa, Laurel, and I consume them with vigor.

-After the Masquerade there's a DJ and dancing, and everyone dances except me and Mike and Jesse. We're too cool to dance. And despite polishing off a third of a bottle of rum, I am not drunk enough to dance, either.

-We head back to The Field, and I spend most of the time outside where it's cool. Asa gets really mad at me for calling him "dawg." It's ironic, Asa.

-Mandy has me film her and Quin making out. Yeah, I don't know, either. But that's going to be some documentary!

-Leslie goes home, and Jenni offers to give me a ride so I can stick around. One the way to the hotel I get literally every turn wrong. Jenni gets understandably pissed. I apologize profusely, and I really do feel bad, but c'mon, Jenni needed directions every time she came to my house, and we lived about five blocks away from each other.

SUNDAY

-Leslie drops me off at the Con and she, Emory, and Ethan head back to LA to get Ethan on his plane home. I go to the last webcomics panel with Paul and we learn more about T-shirt sales than I ever dreamed possible.

-I but some Oni comics, and just yesterday I learned that the creators of BOTH books I bought were signing at the Oni booth just an hour before I bought them. Nice timing, me!

-Paul, Mike, and I drive back to LA. Traffic is bad, so I read my new comics twice.

THE END

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

You did indeed stay on that wagon. I was muy impressed. Plus, more rum for me.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home