Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Will-you-go-to-lunch?

"Will you? Will you go?"

I was all ready to go to bed last night when I realized Glengarry Glen Ross was on. Fortunately it was towards the end (where Roma and Shelley are trying to grift Jonathan Price) so I didn't have to stay up too much later. Seriously, that movie's like a black hole from which no light or Jeffs can escape. I'd say that's the movie I know most word-for-word, with the possible exception of The Big Lebowski. Of course I had missed most of the best bits by the time I came in last night, including Roma's dressing-down of Moss, but I did get to catch the 2nd most depressing scene in film history*: when Williamson figures out what Shelley did and declines to help him even a little.

"I think you fucked up my office. And I think you're going away."

Hopefully my life will provide me the opportunity to say that line to someone. Hopefully I will not actually be as big a dick as Kevin Spacey is in that part, turning a pathetic old man in to the police, but hey, that's a cool line.

"First prize is a new Cadillac. Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is, you're fired."

Looooove that movie.



*The most depressing scene in film history is earlier in the movie, when Shelley tries to sell that couple some land and both he and they know they are not going to buy it but he just keeps trying and trying and it's the most pathetic thing in the entire world, ever.

9 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

You fairie. You company man.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's weird. We were playing a movie quote game at work today and I used the steak knives quote at one point.

- Mike

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched the second half of The Spanish Prisoner with my dad in the Ozarks this weekend.

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope my life affords me the opportunity to say to someone, "Once again we see there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away."

9:38 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

"Who said you could work with MEN?"

Paul, the opportunity to say that seems complicated, what with needing a long-standing arch-nemesis that you continually get the better of. Then again, I guess I would need to run an office for mine, and that seems equally unlikely, so who am I to judge?

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just think it's good to have goals. Nemesis-related goals if possible.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

You should. It's great. It's Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin, Jonathan Pryce and Alec Baldwin. And the play won the Pulitzer (back when Mamet was not totally crazy). It's just the best.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Oh, I'm gonna have you're job, shithead!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I don't care whose nephew you are, whose dick you're sucking...

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home