Thursday, September 15, 2005

Haus

Our household watched the first 3 episodes of House last night on DVD. It's a highly entertaining, if highly formulaic show. Hugh Laurie's the key to the whole thing, of course, and I'd say he deserves the Emmy if not for the fact that Ian McShane is up for it, as well.

I'm not quite sure I could ever make an effort to watch House regularly. My infatuation with serialized television prevents me from being significantly enamored with a show that is exactly the same, week in and week out. I mean, these three episodes were so similar that it bordered on ridiculous. House is going to start treatment for an ailment that he can't prove exists? It's really a roll of the dice to see which character says "But you have no PROOF!" I mean, this formula is fine, the show's entertaining, but I get it. By episdoe three I was amusing myself by making jokes about Cutty's name (mostly third-season Wire references, but you didn't watch it so I won't even mention them).

Oh, and I hate Robert Sean Leonard. He's not that bad on the show, actually, but my hate is deep and timeless. As a young man there were few movies I hated more than Dead Poets Society and Branaugh's Much Ado About Nothing, and guess who sucks eggs in both of them? Plus all the girls were in love with him. Shut your handsome, untalented face, Robert Sean Leonard! We are ENEMIES! He's not bad on the show, though.

I'm assuming the show messes around a bit with the formula in later episodes, but I can't imagine it ever deviating that far from the "ailment of the week." But it's an entertaining show, good for a lazy Saturday afternoon perhaps, but not one I can really see investing myself in.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Have you ever seen RSL's "performance" in Driven? Classic.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Are you telling me that "Driven" might have some sub-par performances in it?

'Cause I don't think I could handle that news.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home