Tuesday, January 03, 2006

New Year's Weekend in living

What did I do Friday night? I can't remember. What the hell. Oh, wait! Emily's going-away party. Geez, my memory sucks.

Emily's going away party was a good time. It was the first time I had been to Big Wang's, and I'm certain I'll return since it's only a 10-minute walk from me. I got to say goodbye to Emily, and Paul and Frank showed up late, having both returned from out-of-town earlier that day. Afterwards a few of us went to Hollywood House and there was tomfoolery, as expected. It's a shame Emily's heading to New York. She's cool people.

Saturday during the day I made a much-needed sojourn to Target. Now my room has a trashcan, my bathroom has a bath mat, and my file folders have drawers in which to live. Paul came with me, and hung out at our place. He, Emory, and I watched the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which is okay. The ending blows. But parts of it are really enjoyable. The Wonka-centric flashbacks didn't bug me as much as I thought they would, but they are indicative of the movie's main problem, which is that Charlie is a non-entity. In the book and the previous movie, Charlie wins by being actively good. In this version, he wins by being not as horrible as the odious other children. He's a blank. The movie did result in a totally hilarious but not-at-all appropriate joke. I won't go into it here, but keep in mind that chocolate looks like poop.

Frank came by after a theater commitment and the three of us headed over to Frank's co-worker Anne's party. Several other people we knew were there, so it was a much better time than I had anticipated. I got to see Megan again, who I honestly think I hadn't seen in 6 months, and I met the Hollywood House's newest edition, Erika, who is certainly friendly. It was a surprisingly good time, and a fine way to live up to the "Everything's Awesome in 2006!" tagline that I made up the next day, because dammit, it's true.

The next day Lindsay came out from Santa Monica to have brunch with Frank, and that simple pairing ballooned to include me, Paul, Liz, Alan, and Asa. Such is the way of living in Hollywood with everyone you like! (Please know that if you don't live in Hollywood, I still like you. Unless I don't.) We spent the whole day hanging out, shedding various group members as we went. We tried to see The Matador but it was sold out, so we went back to Frank and McKenna's and watched Midnight Run instead. It's a great movie. One of the underappreciated gems of the 80's, and yet another reason why Martin Brest's decent into crap in the subsequent decades (Meet Joe Black, Gigli) is so damn heart-breaking. By the end of the night it was just me, Frank, and Lindsay, drinking vodka tonics and shooting the breeze. It was a good way to start 2006.

Yesterday I sat around with Emory and watched Mystery Science Theater episodes, including Parts: The Clonus Horror, which is indeed a very bad movie, but was clearly ripped off by The Island. I'm amazed that lawsuit didn't start sooner.

2006! Woo! Hope everyone else's new year is going well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

The weekend was good times, brosef. One thing: Could we stop calling it "hollywood house?" This isn't an attack on you or anything, it's just that I've never liked that label and with the new year there should be change. Also, we all live in Hollywood now, so we don't want to confuse folks.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

No skin off my teeth. But what on earth shall we call it? I suggest "Sex Farm."

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home