Monday, October 09, 2006

So what's on Adult Swim these days?

I'll talk about Heroes after tonight's episode. Suffice to say, I did not have time to address it last week. But 'round Llama School we've started watching the Sunday night offerings of Adult Swim again on a regular basis, so let's talk about that.

12 oz Mouse - Despite my better judgement, this show fascinates me. It's the only Adult Swim short-form show that's a true serial, and often seems more concerned with its byzantine, hallucinagenic nightmare-mystery plot than in actually being funny. Oh, and that plot is most likely being completely made up on the fly. If you've seen this show and couldn't make heads or tails of it, I can hardly blame you. Its cast of characters includes a malevolent severed hand and an apparently sentient clock. And the villain is a talking shark. (Old Kentucky Shark, no less.) Anyway, I really dig the completely crap-looking design, and I especially dig the halting, staccato line-readings from Mouse and Shark ("He's rectangley. That's how you'll know him. By his rectangularness" Be sure to mark at least a one-second pause between all of those sentences). So I've totally drunk the Kool-Aid as far as this show's concerened. If you don't already hate it, you probably would if you saw it. Although it does have one of the best credit sequences in the history of television.

Metalocalypse - Under no circumstances should this show be watched without Emory to explain all the in-jokes to you. But it's pretty funny even without the in-jokes. Last night's adoption episodes was probably the best one yet. Also, the theme song is better than most of the metal songs Emory's made me listen to over the years.

Moral Orel - It's really just a one-joke premise (Orel misconstrues some wholesome lesson and indulges in some decidedly unwholesome behavior) so I'm not sure how long this show can last, but it's a pretty funny joke, at least. And I generally approve Mr. Show alums getting a steady paycheck.

Robot Chicken - I talked about this show at some point in the past, and have little new to add. When it's on, it's really on, and when it's off, it reminds me of all those shitty issues of Wizard that kind of turned me off comics in general back in high school. Great animation, though.

Squidbillies - Less amusing than the previous season, but last night's gag where Patrick Swayze's wife was portrayed as Patrick Swayze in To Wong Foo... was just about as funny as funny can be.

The Venture Brothers - I just can't get into this show. I've seen several episodes, and nothing really does it for me. It always elicits a chuckle or two, but it's a half-hour long and I just can't work up enthusiasm for it. Even an off episode of one of the shows listed above will only try your patience for 11 minutes. I keep getting the feeling that I'm the show's taget audience (it's certainly not shy about making obscure comic book references), but I just can't bring myself to like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home