Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The third season reset button

Lost - So the hatch is gone, the tailies have been eliminated (save for Bernard), and the black smoky monster and dead loved ones are back?

Battlestar - So everyone's back on Galactica, searching for Earth? Balthar's back to relying on Hallucination-Six in order to keep his head above water? And Apollo's dropped his weight and Kara's cut her hair short?

And House just introduced David Morse as a character who doesn't take any of House's shit and abuses his power to get the better of him. Ring any Chi-McBride-in-season-one bells?

This isn't criticism, actually. Just an observation. I'm digging Lost much more this season, since it's dumped the button, gotten Locke back to functionality, and gone back to acknowledging weird, dropped stuff from season 1 (black cloud, dead loved ones, and those adorable polar bears), plus it's got the Others stuff for freshness. Having a much better time there. I was surprised Galactica dumped the prison camp angle so quickly. But now we're right back to where we started (except half the cast is now married to the other half), plus the Cylon stuff for freshness. And what was with the directing in that last episode? I felt like I was watching Evangelion for a second. It doesn't really matter what House does, since any over-arching plot always takes the back seat to the episodic formula. I do like David Morse, though.

Some other things from TV recently:

12 oz Mouse - "Because, duh, it's HIS hand!" Totally called it. Not that it was the world's hardest mystery, but I take my victories where I can.

I finally got around to watching last week's Veronica Mars only to find that it was lousy with people I know or at least met a few times in passing. Jamie Ray Newman's shown up as the dean's wife, and Sam's old roommate Blake was one of the campus security guards. Funny. Kind of a crap episode, though. What was Veronica's damn problem? But I did like her groupie.

Kind of a placeholder episode of Heroes, with the dialogue a bit clunkier than usual. I couldn't get too excited about Radioactive Man, since that exact plot is straight out of Squadron Supreme. I naturally have to acknowledge how derivative Heroes is simply by nature, but I do have my limits. I did dig the scene with Micah and Niki on the phone with each other, since Micah totally had her number. Nice one.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you said about "Lost." They're bringing back all the good mysteries of the first season as oppossed to focusing on the major mystery of last season, you know, the hatch.

The others are awesome and I can't wait to learn more about them and find out how evil Juliet really is.

As for 'Veronica Mars', last week was pretty bad. It didn't really seem in character and the red herring of Weevil was silly. I don't think anyone thought it was Weevil. Oh, and Wallace cheated. Big Whoop.

Where's Piz and Mac God damn it? Also, what's with the preview for tonights episode being all about Veronica and Logan's romance. I guess they're trying to suck that Gilmore crowd in.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and your antiquated usage of the word "lousy."

- Mike

6:42 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

dude, house sucks this season. I am pissed. I am tired of this story line with the cop dude and we're only what, 2 or 3 episodes into it? BORING.

Go back to the Cameron romance, for God's sake, or even Sela Ward. Give the ladies what they want: HOUSE.

also, I have been watching Friday Night Lights, and that show is good. Thank God something is.

also, Jeff, can we try to have less TV posts? :)
Isn't there some scott pilgrim news somewhere or some funny story about someone getting stabbed??




kidding. you can post about tv although I will only skim it until I see the name of a show I actually watch.

:)

10:35 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Aimee - Agreed on the need for more Piz and Mac. I mean, come on!

Mike - I'm old timey.

Lindsay - Cameron's actually grown a spine this season, and I'm loving that shit. "No, it's because I'm hitting that. And it's totally hot." That was awesome. And then just last night she was like "Up yours, House, you don't get to know everything." I love ballsy Cameron. The last thing I want to see is her mooning over House again. And the Sela Ward plot was the dullest one in the whole series. Happy House = boring TV.

As for the number of TV posts, I could always talk about comics some more. There's a big Seven Soldiers post just waiting to be born.

Maybe you just need to watch more TV?

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home