Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Don't worry, the hurricane is coming

In case you hadn't guessed from the comments I made, I'm hardly a Hitchiker's Guide purist. I don't really care that they made changes to the plot or the ending or whatever, since I always regarded those books as a lark, anyway.

What you should be well prepared for is that I am most definitely a purist when it comes to both Watchmen and His Dark Materials, so expect endless harping about them as more details are released about their respective productions. I bit my tongue (bloggily speaking) when it was announed that there would be no mention of God or the Church in His Dark Materials, and I highly doubt the movies will overcome that basic storytelling glitch to achieve anything to my satisfaction. And while Paul Greengrass being announced as the director of Watchmen is a promising note, he's still going to make Watchmen into a two-hour film, and I just can't see it working that way. At least, in any case, to my satisfaction. So while everyone else will no doubt be nattering on about who's going to be cast, and what will they leave in and what have you, I'll be over the corner, arms folded, scowling and muttering to myself about how at least the books will be getting more attention.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'll follow all that stuff as much as anyone. I'm just overly pessimistic about these sorts of enterprises because I don't want to be disappointed, and if I convince myself the movie will be awful, then it makes an awful film into a somewhat passable one. Or at least that worked for the first 20 minutes or so of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but then that movie greatly outpaced even my most dire imaginings. I just can't take that kind of hurt!

1 Comments:

Blogger -Laurel- said...

That's how I feel about hitchhiker's guide. I've read them 3 times. And it's going to hurt if I don't enjoy this movie. The worse I think it's going to be though, the better it will be by comparison.

Also- almost done with LoEG. Finishing 2nd book. I think Alex wanted to read them though, so I may hang onto it until this weekend.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home