Thursday, August 25, 2005

So what now?

I finished off The Baroque Cycle yesterday at lunch. A very satisfying reading experience, all told, which is as it should be, considering the three books are basically just a single, 3,000-page novel. Now what on earth will I read? I mean sure, I have at least five books in my room that I've never gotten around to reading, but still.

I've actually been re-reading Snow Crash in the evenings as I finished off The System of the World during lunches. It reads much faster than I remember, but I don't think I've read it since high school. And and fast-paced and energetic as it is, Stephenson has improved immensely as a novelist since it was published. Heck, at least a fourth of that book is Hiro just getting various history and myth lessons from the librarian. But you can't do much better than Raven in the villain department, and the climax is a corker. If you haven't read any Stephenson, start there, then you can head to Cryptonomicon, and if that floats your boat, then The Baroque Cycle should be next. You can read Diamond Age in there somewhere if you want, but the narrative in that book kind of sucks and there's no ending. But all the ideas are fantastic and nanotech is kind of the coolest thing ever. Maybe I'll try and read that book again, as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home