Monday, August 22, 2005

The 40 Year Old Virgin

Where does the hypen go in that title? Between 40 and Year? No, I wasn't an English major. I have no idea what you're talking about.

ANYWAY, this movie made me laugh harder than anything I've seen recently, save for the "back and forth" gag from Me and You and Everyone We Know. It's a tad too long, but every time I felt my interest flagging another hilarious gag would come up. Hopefully now Seth Rogen will start showing up more often, so hilarious is he in this film. And why can't all movies end with a delightful musical number? Or more accurately, why can't all movies be as delightful so when a musical number comes out of nowhere you are filled with even greater delight? Huh? How about it, Hollywood?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the hyphen properly sits between "year" and "old." But I noticed on the billboard last night that they hedge their bets with [i]two[/i] hyphens, making it "The 40-Year-Old Virgin."

What's preferred? Don't you have an Elements of Style sitting right on your desk?

10:38 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Technically it is a Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association.

But it looks like the billboard is right. Which makes sense, since Year describes Old and 40 describes Year, and the whole shebang describes Virgin.

Grammar!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. This is confirmed by my Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, under the entry for "year." He is the forty-year-old virgin. We are twenty-five-year-old men.

Continuing education!

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home