Friday, January 06, 2006

The Darkness

Others have raved about The Darkness' newest CD, One Way Ticket to Hell and Back, and while I meant to get it over the holidays in KC, I actually didn't buy it until yesterday.

It does indeed rock. Rocks quite well. "Hazel Eyes" is my favorite track. But I don't know much about the band's raison d'etre, so help me out. Are these guys taking the piss or what? The music sounds sincere, but the lyrics are goofy as hell. I mean, you could more or less take "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" at face value, right? But when one song has a chorus consisting of the phrase "I like what you've done with your hair," and another song talks about how cocaine gives you the runs, I get suspicious. Also, there's a song about going bald. And what the hell are "dinner lady arms"?

Don't get me wrong, I like the album a lot. It's a good time. And the title track makes a fine soundtrack for wandering around Hollywood late at night on foot (see also: most tracks from Gorillaz' Demon Days).

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Well that answers both that question and my primary one.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home