Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Idiot Box runs my life

My life is boring. TV is exciting!

Heroes - Three episodes in and I'm pretty much sold on this show. I know, I'm surprised too! Last night's episode was even written by Jeph Loeb! The dialogue is often pretty cringe-inducing, but the plot's top-notch. Some of the disparate stories work better than others, but that's to be expected. I'm totally on board with the following plot threads: Hiro, Ali Larter, Indestructible Cheerleader, and Telepathic Cop. The super-powered serial killer stuff is great. The Scientist's Son plot is interesting, but it's also where the dialogue tends to really get out of hand, clunking around all over the place. Although it does have the advantage of Nora Zehetner, who is no great shakes in the acting department, but is awfully pretty. And totally a secret villain (again). I have virtually no interest in the Flying Brothers or Precognitive Junkie (if I ever see another junkie on TV, it'll be too soon), so it's nice that their plots seem to be dovetailing. But yeah, good stuff so far. It's like The 4400 with decent prodcution values!

Studio 60 - First episode so far that hasn't seemed ridiculously self-serving for Sorkin. Some actual dimensionality for Ricky and Ron, plus Sarah Paulson didn't drive me crazy. Hopefully this show won't get totally shitcanned now that it's actually finding its feet.

Battlestar - Finally caught the premiere last night. Intense stuff, although at times so heavy-handed that at times I thought Ronald Moore might rise up from behind our couch with a baseball bat that had "metaphor!" written on it. But a strong opening, overall. Starbuck's situation was equal parts disturbing and totally awesome. And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't showing Roslin a bunch of times in the season promo sort of ruin the cliffhanger for this episode? But maybe it's a fakeout? Or maybe SciFi likes ruining things. Anyway, let's hope the quality doesn't take the sharp dips it has in the past, although Mark Verheiden is still around, so I'm not holding my breath.

Doctor Who - We're playing catch-up on this one, since it premiered a week or two ago. We caught "The Christmas Invasion," which was totally serviceable, if unremarkable. The Torchwood bit was fantastic. David Tennant is very good, but I doubt I'll end up liking him as much as Eccleston.

The Office - More Rashida Jones = happy Jeff. I am so freaking shallow. But she's funny, right? With the "Call of Duty!" bellow and the throwing of the horns? I'm pretty shallow.

2 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

what? no more mars?

as long as we're speaking of shallow... yeah, i should probably be ashamed of myself.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Oh, there is most definitely some Mars in the future. I'm just waiting to see the 2nd episode and then I'll weigh in on it.

There's no shame in loving the Mars.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home