Friday, September 23, 2005

The big comeback

L.A. Confidential has been popping up on the cable recently. Man oh man, do I love that movie. One of the best films of the 90's, easily. The ending's a bit too uplifting, but unlike several other examples I can think of, it doesn't derail the movie (I'm looking at you, Spielberg).

But that's not my main point. Emory and I were watching it, and Kevin Spacey's in it, back when he was in good movies and back when he gave good performances (those periods overlapped). There's that priceless moment where he whispers "Rollo Tamasi," and lets out that little "Got you, motherfucker" giggle, and then the following exchange took place:

Emory: Man, Kevin Spacey is awesome in this movie. What the hell happened to him?
Jeff: I don't know. It's not like he was desperate for an Oscar. He had two by the millenium.
Emory: Jesus. What has he been doing lately?
Jeff: Superman Returns.
Emory: Oh, thank GOD.

Seriously. I'm as about as excited for a big Kevin Spacey comeback as I am for Superman Returns. And I am DAMN EXCITED about Superman Returns.

Come back to the side of the angels, Spacey. And please ask me to go to lunch, while you're at it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

K-PAX?

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He wouldn't be going to lunch *with* him. He'd just tell Jeff repeatedly to go to lunch. Jeez.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

The real question is will I? Will I go? Will-I-go-to-lunch?

Jenni, you need to see Glengarry Glen Ross, STAT.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told the head of sales at my job that he needed to see Glengarry Glen Ross, stat.

Not until later did it occur to me that GGR is sort of a horror movie for salesmen. I hope it doesn't scar him for life.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last night I had another one of my vivid, expressionist dreams where Superman goes back to Krypton, somehow, or at least to its shattered remains. In this dream he was wandering through Jor-El's empty, abandoned laboratory, which was this sort of small tube floating in space. There were a lot of signed Marlon Brando sketches on the walls.

I have a dream like this about once every sixth months.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home