Thursday, September 22, 2005

Lost

So despite all my harping, and my bet with myself, I still watched the Lost premiere last night. Granted, Veronica Mars doesn't start until next week, so it's not like I was doing anything else.

I'll be spoiling things, if that's a concern for you.

It was pretty good. By which I mean the stuff on the island was good-to-great, and the flashback was dumb. Hey, remember how Jack's wife said she couldn't walk and Jack fixed her? Here it is! Only you know exactly how it plays out! Which would be fine if this mini-drama were 1/100th as interesting as what's going on on the island! But it's not! So it's frustrating! Also, the next time I see a Jack-centric episode that centers around him saving someone, that writer gets a smack.

You see my point. Anyway, the ACTUAL point of the flashback this episode was to introduce Desmond McIrritating (c'mon, didn't you want to slap him in his scene with Jack?) so that he could be revealed as the dude in the hatch. Dear Lost writers: if you want something to be a surprise, don't telegraph it in giant, neon letters. "Why, this man has a speaking part! A considerable one! Out of nowhere! Could he perhaps fit into this larger puzzle?" Of course he can. Because when an actor talks you have to pay him more, and when an actor has such a long, apparently pointless scene, you know he's gotta turn up again.

I don't mean to sound so negative. I enjoyed myself, for the most part. The opening scene was brilliant. Emory and I were like "Whoa, this is a serious flashback. Look at that computer!" and then the explosion happened and we were all like "Awesome!"

Why would you credit Michelle Rodriguez when she never shows up?

The same reason you credit Michael, Sawyer, and Daniel Dae Kim, I guess.

Invasion's first half was boring enough that I didn't bother with its second. Hey, do you think those people who are acting weird might be aliens?

Maybe I'll just watch Lost on DVR from now on, so that when a flashback starts bugging me, or gets too pat or obvious, I can just fast forward through it. I bet I'd enjoy the show a lot more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home