Monday, February 13, 2006

A bit about television

For starters, I can't agree with Paul. I thought last week's Veronica Mars was very good. The funniest episode in some time. And is it just me, or is Teddy Dunn's absence totally a plus? Anything they have to do to give Dick and Beaver more screen time is all right by me. I never dreamed I'd be fans of the Casablancas brothers when they became regulars this season, but Dick is reliably hilarious (both as-written and played by Ryan Hansen) and Beaver's new relationship with Mack is already the cutest thing on television all year. Yes, including Puppy Bowl.

This week's Lost was torn between awesome island stuff and a flashback that was just David Mamet's 1987 film House of Games, only with a crappier ending. Not even Kim Dickens guest-starring helped matters. Man, that show could be so damn good. Why do you vex me with your poorly-chosen format, Lost? Why?

And I did find time this weekend to catch the end of Arrested Development. It might not be a terrible thing if the show doesn't come back on another network. The show was able to turn self-referentiality into an art form, but I think there's only so far you can go with that. If it does wind up somewhere else, hopefully the writers will focus on generating new material. Although (spoiler coming up) for sheer comic ballsiness, it's tough to beat Lindsay finding out she was adopted and then immediately trying to have sex with Michael. And GOB shacking up with Ann. That was pure gold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home